Friday, January 11, 2008

Potty Training : Day and Night

Gwyn woke up last night about 11.30pm to pass urine. It has been a year since she was off the diaper for the night. This daughter of mine is particularly sensible in the area of cleaniness.

In fact, since 8 months old, when I started letting them sat on the potty, she had since then rarely pass motion on her diaper. She would give me a signal on her face expression, and wait till I let her sat on the potty before she did her business. After 20 months old, Gwyn was already potty trained for the day. Lucky me? Oh yes, I wouldn't deny that.

Asher took a longer time, but I was not particularly concerned. The famous child expert, author, Dr Miriam Stoppard actually recommended that we start potty training when the child is about three years old. She explained that by this time, the bladder is more matured and makes potty training easier for the parents; and for the night, she recommended that the child only be trained by 5 or 6 years old. So I have a few lead years for Asher.

Though I still followed the Asian tradition of early potty training since 18 months old, Asher was only completely off his diaper for the day slightly after 2 years old by his own accord, perhaps seeing his sister doing so. He is then off the diaper at night recently in December 2007, slightly after 3 years old. It took me by suprise when he suddenly woke up in the middle of one night and said that he wanted to take off his diaper to pass urine.

The potty training for the twins is rather "smooth" for me. But I believe that generally the girls can be trained earlier - my girlfriend, Mokkie's daughter was day and night trained by 18 months old! On the other hand, my sister, Xian's son was only night trained by 4 years old.

Whatever it is in the timeframe chosen, the initial period always required the parents to be more patience in getting the child's cooperation.

0 comments:

Google
 

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner